Thursday, May 22, 2014

People


People
"and no one is much,
and everyone should know that we share that."
*
from “Hanging Out with Girls” by Hannah Gamble
-------
no one is much and the heat of the night presses in after the winter
no one is much and I welcome the interruption, seven billion
no one is much and the numbers keep climbing
seven with one blow, buzzing buzzing I want the light off no matter what
no one is much, you will find me far up a tree in spite of my fear
shorts under my dress of course, Mommy said so when climbing
small small small. no one is much. but no one can talk up a storm
the noise in the quiethouse buzzing, buzzing I want the light off.
no one is much. the world in a tight hot clutch, surrounding
no one is much. the feathery touch compounding
no one is much. the voices drone on, flute and warble, pound bang
oh the voices, the beautiful -
no one is much.

No comments:

Post a Comment