Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Daughter #7: Sunday


Daughter #7: Sunday

Baby, you are Sunday for the mornings in our living room
breakfasting in slips so our dresses would stay clean

Sunday for the family walk, wading through the sand drifts, me
dragging down on Mommy's hand while Ruthy strode ahead

Sunday for the days in church, hours washed in whispers
letting prayers and homilies roll across our rows

Girl, I name you Sunday for the sunshine
Child, I call you Sunday for yourself
Baby child, I call you this to anchor you in family

Sunday for your missionary grandparents
Sunday for a day that starts in song

Sunday for my baby who is good
Sunday for so much that will just flow over you

Sunday for the Sundays of my childhood,
Sunwashed, sunsplashed, ironed and slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment