Thursday, April 17, 2014

Deep in the bookhouse


Deep in the bookhouse we tap, look, stop
In the belly of this papertemple we make our own pages
Sue sits across from me at the hardsquare and we rest our things down
Our spilled eyeframes, inkwriters, empty slurped drinkcylinders, shouldersacks and shoulderwarmers
All our debris of houselockers, machinecozies, wordvaults
The hardsquare holds it all, holds up our ownedthings and our boughtthings and our madethings and our bodythings, I can rest my armbenders on it, even my thinkball if my thinkball gets too heavy or tired
The cool flat hardsquare holds it, takes it, here in the papertemple
While Sue and I silently look for simplicity.

Napowrimo challenge from Day 13: incorporate kennings, new metaphorical compounds:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenning

2 comments:

  1. Ah, could I be the Sue who shares with you? Probably not, but it's fun put myself there.

    I taught kennings to my students when we studied Beowulf. Forgot about them, though.

    I am coming back to your (wrote toy our...mmm....) poems when I need to remember there is more to life than this 9 to 5 and when I need to hear your "voice." (so not going in order!) Thanks! --Susanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always the Sue who shares with me-you! Even when there are other Sues . . .

    I'm so glad you come back to my poems. And so glad I was introduced to kennings, too. I like trying to remember about them all the time to use just whenever.

    ReplyDelete