Sunday, April 6, 2014

Marie. I name her. Daughter #6


Daughter Ghazal: Marie. I name her.

My daughter is here and everything else can wait. I name her.
I rock her I nurse her I claim her and though it is late, I name her.

Old men will sing her old songs on the stairs like they did for me
With the words just a little off and a limping gait, while I name her.

My mini-me, my little Marie, my child of a hundred hand-me-downs
She holds her breath while I unseal her fate: I name her.

The beginning becomes the end and the rubber band slips
She claps for the trees and the grass while they susurrate. I name her.

This baby of butter and bitterness rolls off my tongue
I catch her and all of her ancestresses elate. I name her.

I am Marie. She is Marie. We are Marie. We throw thunderbolts
The heaviest things have no weight. I name her.

No comments:

Post a Comment