Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Wide-Open Road - ghazal


For once in the car yesterday it was me at the wheel
Me driving, me steering, deciding: me free at the wheel

It's a long conversation, just two in the car, children absent
But we filled it with podcasts and sweet repartee at the wheel

Through the cornfields, past three-armed white windmills we drove
In the driver's seat mostly it's rear lights you see at the wheel

Homeward pointed, the streets grow narrow the closer we get
Pretending it's wide-open road, I screech glee at the wheel

No matter how many of us pile into whatever car
At the end of the trip there's just one who will be at the wheel

Home to Felix, to grading, to writing, unpacking, we sped
While Michel turned the dials and I was Marie at the wheel!

No comments:

Post a Comment