Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Self-Portrait

Self-Portrait

Between the highs and the lows I go
even-keeled through the continents. I worry.
Where I am planted piles of books
grow, read, unread, and papers, handwritten,
photocopied, printed, bound, enveloped.
Boxes stack higher.
My world is shrinking. I might fight
back, push the constricting boundaries
further away again. Sometimes I tell myself it doesn't matter.
One day it will become clear.
For weeks the days are made up of drudgery and then
the lights come on. I can turn them on myself
by writing.
I walk a lot through the rain and the winter, the heat
and the crisp of the morning, morning after morning,
avoiding the deer. I listen less than I used to.
I see things that aren't there, a woman who has wheels
instead of feet, a four-legged jogger, a tree
in the shape of a rabbit.
I read the letters that are addressed to me, the books
that pull me in, that swallow me whole.
I try to be good. I try to be smart. I try to push back the
shrinking boundaries.
Beside me my walking companions change colors, change
shape, keep time.
Sometimes I don't know myself very well. I try to recognize
myself but it is not what I learned to do.
I love sharing the house with the man who is growing old
with me, I love the three minutes we had in which our boys
were babies and little boys. I love how they are exploding now.
Every morning I eat oatmeal. It warms and anchors me. Every
day I write a poem. It delights me. Every month or so I shed
my skin and start again.

very, very loosely based on Self-Portrait by Adam Zagajewski - maybe inspired by more than based on

No comments:

Post a Comment