Monday, April 21, 2014

Dolores my baby girl (Daughter #9)


Dolores my baby girl, if I cradle you warm will it melt the ice?
Ice is better than sorrows your great-grandmother must have believed.

Believed like she knew that her little girl should be thin and bright
Bright radiance, reflections, sunshine melt ice too

Too much cradling warps the future before it can start
Start running now, baby bunting, start running now
Now before I can catch you and name you sorrows, Dolores.

***

Dolores a baby girl I found wrapped in confetti
Confetti that says the parade has gone noisily by

By tomorrow this child will be mine to console and treasure
Treasure's what's left when the pirates have whooped their last

Last will be first and sorrows will melt to rivers
Rivers to drown the sorrows, but not the child.
Child, child, my future, I name you sorrows, Dolores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment